Friday, June 27, 2014

Rest day in Fort Frances!

We arrived in the afternoon on the 26th of June and was immediately made to feel welcome by Karin's friend, Maranda. Maranda had worked with Karin at the post office in Nelson and had moved back to her home town of  Fort Frances. Within an hour of my arrival, Maranda's returned from a lake they have a place at and started organizing a barbeque for us. After burgers and beer--boy, does beer go down good after a long ride--we all sat down talked about fishing, hunting and the possible flood of the city by the Rainy over-flowing it's banks.

The next day was down to business. I had to find a bike shop so I could use some bike specific tools to tighten my headset and cassette lockring. Sorry, I didn't put in a bicycle nerd warning this time. I was recommended a bike shop in downtown Fort Frances called Taggs. They pulled through with flying colors and they told me how the owner (he wasn't present this day at the shop) had rescued other bicycle tourers stranded with more serious problems than my own. So, "Hats off" to Taggs, the owner and the people who work in the shop, Daine and Billy. The rest of the day was completing the maintenance on both of the bikes and mapping out our route for the next three days. Not that we have a choice of routes since there's only one going East to Thunder Bay. But trying find what or if any services are available on the way. We made sure we had a couple days worth of food just in case. The other unavailable service will be cellular and will put us out of touch for the three days to Thunder Bay.

In the previous post there is a picture with Karin and a German touring cyclist who started in Alaska and was also crossing Canada. He told us he fueling his ride with chocolate and asked us if we had any. Like I would give up any of my chocolate.

The pictures with the totems and the teepee I found a little low on the "PC" scale. Maybe it's just because I'm a West coast boy and see them as having significant meaning to other's.

No comments:

Post a Comment