Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Man those highway signs are creaky!

June 3, 2014

I really should start with the date of the day I'm writing about.

I had an un restful sleep last night in the orchard with the wind buffeting my tent all night long. The local native Indians say the winds are created here well they were giving birth last night. I pact up and headed for the Ranch Restaurant for something to eat. The wind was still kicking up and I had a bit of a struggle to keep the bike on the road. It would suddenly hit you from the side without warning and I would have to veer off to keep the bike under me. I made the 2.5k ride to the restaurant without incident and had some eggs over easy with hashbrowns and toast. I took my time texting with a buddy from the coast who I toured with in the past. I spent an hour and a half at the restaurant knowing I had a short day's ride into Osoyoos. I had arranged to visit and stay with my mother's cousin, Snooki and her husband Bob for the night in Osoyoos so it turned into a bit of a rest day for us.

On my ride from Kermeos, I had a good tailwind to push me along. The trouble with a light tailwind, when you slow down while climbing a hill you are surrounded by a dead zone of air and lose your cooling wind. Of course I got a head wind for thinking that.

There are sounds that you hear on the road while riding quietly on your bike that you never hear in a car. Birds that scold when you come near. Thunder clouds in the distance grumbling away. Can do without that one. One of the sounds that catches me off guard are the road signs that move with the wind. First I thought it was someone talking off the side of the road and it creeped me out a bit. Then I realized it was the signs and stopped to listen. No other sound. Just the creak, creak of the sign moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment