Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Morse to Moose Jaw with 30k headwinds!

On the bike time was nine hours today. Speed on the bike, what speed! The wind kept me down to 10-13k/hr the whole distance from Morse to Moose Jaw. Brutal, but love every minute of it. Don't know when the weather is going to get better.

Not many pictures today Dee to constantly trying to keep the bike moving. The first picture is scenery. I'm still in awe of what I see. The second and third picture are off the salt mine in Chaplin. They mine sodium phosphate used in laundry soap add a whitener. The last picture is of the Chaplin Nature Centre specializing in educating the public about the wild fowl in the area. I stopped in to identify some birds I had seen. One was large and white and looked like a crane. Sure enough I saw a Whooping Crane and they got all excited and wanted to know where it was. I told them I had seen the bird between Pincher Creek and Gull Lake. I also saw a group of Burrowing Owls beyond a fence on the side of the road and when I told where they said other people have been reporting seeing them, too. The last bird I wanted to ask about was a large snipe like bird that harassed me as I road by. They said it was probably a Willet then showed me a picture of one. Definitely the one. It had also christened my goretex jacket with a direct hit when it dive bombed me.

We took a tent site at the Oasis in Moose Jaw to end a difficult day.

No comments:

Post a Comment