Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Bagged a Sunday summit

We started with another day of glorious sunshine after a night of thunder showers making for a wet camp to break. Mule deer smelled fresh with dampness and pine. It took us a good three hours to get our bikes packed. I'm sure we will be much faster as the tour progresses. Or not. After getting our act together and on the road I found we were the lucky benefactors of a moderate tailwind which is music to the touring cyclists ears. So we made it to Princeton in good time. After some lunch we headed for Bromley Rock being our next stop to regroup. A thun Karinder storm was abrewn' and kicking up a substantial headwind complete with big splats so with our heads down we pushed hard to Bromley. Since it was only 1pm when we arrived at Bromley we decided to move on. Our next regrouping point was to be the gas station at Hedley. We talked about stopping at the River Haven/Gold Mountain Campgrounds because they have showers but because I thought they were East of Hedley I told Karin to wait for me in Hedley. When I arrived in Hedley there was no Karin or cell coverage to text her. I had past the campgrounds noting my mistake so I doubled back to see if I could find her. I couldn't find anyone to ask if she was there and couldn't see her or her bike around the back so I thought she might have continued on to Kermeos. I also needed cell coverage to get ahold of her and that wasn't going to happen until I was close to Kermeos. Eight kilometers before Kermeos, I spot a cell tower along side the road so I start texting and making calls. Now Karin is back at the Gold Mountain Campgrounds with out cell coverage and can't recieve my messages but she called me with the campground's landline wondering were I was and the desk landline number for me to call back. In the end all was good and we agreed to meet up the next day at the Micky D's in Osoyoos. It was now 6pm and I needed a place to throw my tent so I decided to phone the brother of a friend who lives in Kermeos. He agreed to let me pitch my tent amongst his orchard's apricot trees and to use the farm shower and toilet. Just what a sticky, stinky, touring cyclist likes to hear after 140k on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment