Friday, February 21, 2014

Android Apps and Software make this work.

99 days left to the start of our fully loaded, self-supported, bicycle tour from Vancouver, British Columbia to St. John’s, Newfoundland. Technically it’s starting at the Rocky Point boat launch in Port Moody June 1st. I have this romantic notion of dipping my bicycle’s wheels in the salt water of the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans but not enough to start the tour in say Tofino or Victoria on Vancouver Island to make it truly coast to coast. I figure there’s enough of the Pacific Ocean mixed in with the head waters of Burrard Inlet to satisfy this need and in the process avoid the 125 kilometer distance from Mile Zero Monument in Victoria, BC to Port Moody if we had planned our start there. A win-win compromise in my mind.

99 days left to the start of our tour means tying up loose ends such as making sure posts to Blogger and Facebook from my smartphone are without problems. This means a few test runs on the bike posting pictures and words are needed. Mmmnn....it's going to be awhile. It's -4 out there as I type.

In this post I will list what Android Apps and software I am utilizing to journal on and off line using only my phone, card readers and a bluetooth keyboard.

Nexus Media Importer. An Android App that allows me to attach a flash drive or an SD card  reader without rooting my phone. This makes it possible to upload pictures taken with my Lumix DMC TS4 camera to Blogger, Facebook and Google Drive.

X-plore. A file manager for mobile phones that will allow me to move files to and from my phone, SD cards and Google Drive.

Google Drive. 15 GB of free storage on the web. I'm still working on integration of Google Docs (Part of Google Drive) with Google's Blogger. Working offline with Google Docs is an issue.

Blogspot's Blogger. It's free and easy use. Word processing and adding pictures off line is simple. You can have your post edited and ready to upload when you find a free WiFi connection.

Only 99 days to the start of our tour. I guess I better get back on the "Hamster wheel" and put in some more interval hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment